Are you thinking of upgrading your home entertainment system to the latest equipment by adding an AV receiver? Well, you have come to the right place. I have handpicked two of the best home entertainment receivers and done a side by side comprehensive analysis between them.
Here is my take on the question, which is the best receiver Sony STR-DH590 vs Yamaha RX-V385?
I will recommend the Yamaha RX-V385, and here is why. One of the best reasons why you should buy the RX-V385 is the ability to automatically calibrate the sound to fit and sound well in your room. These are what you get with the Yamaha RV-385, home theater buyers cutting-edge technology, YPAO automatic acoustic technology, 4K Ultra HD support, HDR, and Dolby Vision, full 4K sound.
In this article, I will be writing a detailed comparison between Sony STR DH590 vs Yamaha RX V385. I have also done a comprehensive comparison between Pioneer VSX 932 Vs VSX 832 Receiver, check it out.
The Sony STR DH590 and Yamaha RX V385 are both from powerhouses and promises the best, but let’s face it, they can’t both be the same in general. Why do I say this? As someone who loves home theater systems, and more of a videophile than an audiophile.
Finding and having a surround sound to go along with a 4k/HDR capable display is vital. This is how I came close to knowing more about the Sony STR DH590 and Yamaha RX V385.
Are you trying to purchase a receiver and a bit confused? Then this is for you, you can decide and choose which receiver is best for your home.
Sony STR DH590 is a 5 channel AV receiver released by Sony in March 2018. Sony has done a nice job of assembling a value-oriented receiver package that delivers important technologies. But they also omitted many features that are very nice but technically not important.
On the other hand, Yahama RX-V385 was released on April 9 2018 by Yamaha intended for use in a home theater setup. It is a discrete 5.1 channel surround, it packs a punch but won’t break your bank account as well.
|Sony STR DH590||Yahama RX-V385|
|Country of make||Japan||Japan|
|Model||STR DH590||RX V385|
|Type||Av receiver||Av receiver|
Build and features
Sony STR DH590 has dimensions of (W x H x 17.0 x 5.2×11.8 “/430.0 x 133.0 xD ) 297.0 mm, weighing 18.29 pounds which makes it pretty heavy. While the Yamaha RX V385 weighs 16.3 pounds and has dimensions of (W x H x D) 17-1/8″, 16 – 3 /8″, × 12-3 /8, and in terms of color and design it is not very different from last years model. Here is a matching TV for home entertainment, the LG UM7300 Vs Samsung RU7100 Television.
Both of these AV receivers are designed very smart with a black display and white fluorescent lettering, they have black buttons, on the front panel you will find smaller inputs.
Power and processing for STR DH590
- 5-channel amplifier
- 90 watts per channel into 6 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channel driven
- Dolby and DTS surround sound decoding
- Digital theater auto calibration (DCAC) for easy, accurate speaker setup (microphone included)
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- Built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- Bluetooth standby lets you turn the receiver on straight from your paired device
- HDMI 2.0 audio/video switching: 4 in, 1 out
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K TVs and HDR-encoded content
- Supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision
- Optical and coaxial digital audio inputs
- 4 analog stereo audio inputs
- No phono input — to connect a turntable you’ll need to add a phono preamp
- Preamp outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- Outputs for five speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R)
- 1/4″ headphone jack
- Rear-panel USB port (power supply only)
- 4K and 3D HDMI pass-through
- HDMI standby pass-through allows access to all HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver
- Bravia sync for one-remote operation with compatible Sony components
- FM tuner with 30 digital presets
- Remote control
- Weight: 15.7 lbs
- Warranty: 2 years
- 60-day money-back guarantee
Yamaha RX-V385 is the upgraded version of RX-V383 which is a 5.1-channel receiver. There have been some added features such as a front-speakers, the front speaker can be bi-amped in 2.1-channel and 3.1-channel setups.
Another features are the independent amplifiers, this helps drive the treble and bass ranges which to me is a pass mark. It is what drives the power to the speakers and also prevents the interference that usually happens between high and low frequencies.
Most newer techs are supported and compatible with this receiver like the latest TV and the new 4K UHD Blu-ray player.
This are some of the compatible techs:
- 4K UHD Video
- High dynamic range (HDR)
- HDCP 2.2
- BT.2020 colors
- Playback of Dolby TrueHD
- DTS-HD Master Audio
But it won’t support Dolby Atmos or DTS:X because it is an entry receiver.
YPAO calibration is a key component of the RX-V385, it is one of Yamaha’s technology responsible for analyzing acoustics in the room, and adjust adjusts all other settings to produce quality and powerful sound. This of course is done automatically in just a couple of minutes.
Best floorstanding speakers for your receiver.
One of the best reasons why you should buy the RX-V385 is the ability to automatically calibrate the sound to fit and sound well in your room. These are what you get with the Yamaha RV-385, home theater buyers cutting-edge technology, YPAO automatic acoustic technology, 4K Ultra HD support, HDR, and Dolby Vision, full 4K sound.
Yamaha RX-V385 5.1-Channel 4K Ultra HD AV Receiver with Bluetooth
10 used from $207.56
- 5.1 channel powerful surround sound
- Bluetooth for wireless connectivity. Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) 100W (8 ohms, 0.9% THD); Rated Output Power (20Hz 20kHz, 2ch driven) 70W (8 ohms, 0.09% THD); Maximum Effective Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) (Jeita) 145W (6 ohms, 10% THD)
- HDMI 2.1 with HDCP 2.2 (4 in/1 out)
- 4K Ultra HD support, HDR10, Dolby vision, hybrid log gamma and BT.2020
- YPAO auto calibration technology for ideal sound, Exclusive Yamaha Cinema DSP technology supports playback of HD Audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD Master Audio, etc.), providing natural and expansive sound imaging
Sony STRD590 Pros and Cons
- It has a virtual cinema surround which gives you a very good effect on those who love movies and great sound.
- It has absolutely no issues with 4k pass through whatsoever.
- It’s Bluetooth works very well for playing music from your phone with no delays at all.
- Some users of the strdh590 have reported having some issues with connectivity and setting up the receiver especially when they have to change inputs and all that.
- Some users have reported that the setup manual was unclear and they had to call in professionals to help them.
- There was some white noise which is very disappointing.
Sony STR-DH590 5.2 Channel Audio Video Home Theater Receiver
7 used from $359.88
- Cinematic Sound at Home: Enjoy your favorite movies, TV shows and more with theater like sound in the comfort of your home
- Virtual Front Surround: S Force PRO delivers virtual surround sound with only a 2 speaker setup
- Virtual Front Surround: S Force PRO delivers virtual surround sound with only a 2 speaker setup
- SMART CONNECTIVITY: Stream music and use Bluetooth Standby turn on the receiver from your phone
- Multi Function System: Enjoy a Multi Channel Stereo Setup, Fm Radio Tuner and 1/4 Inches Headphone Jack
Yamaha RX-V385 Pros and Cons
- It is good value for money especially in the part whereby it is affordable.
- It is very easy to set up following the manual, users have reported.
- It has great sound quality compared to some of the very expensive options in the market.
- It has a very beautiful appearance it will definitely fit in with your home theater system.
- It has a great rating from users so when you buy it you are sure to get exactly what you paid for.
- It is reported that customer support or customer care is very hard to reach when you need them and also their working hours are very limited.
- Some customers have reported some echoes and speech delays.
|HD radio tuner||None||None|
|On-screen display||Thru HDMI||Thru HD|
|Number Of Channels||5||5|
|Stereo RMS Power (watts)||70||90|
|THD in Stereo||0.09 %||0.09 %|
|Frequency Bandwidth (stereo)||20-20k Hz||20-20k Hz|
|Minimum Impedance L/R||6 ohms||6 ohms|
|Minimum Impedance Center||6 ohms||6 ohmS|
|Minimum Impedance Surround||6 ohms||6 ohms|
|Auto Speaker Calibration||YPAO||DCAC|
|Plays Copy-protected 4K||Yes||Yes|
|HDR-compatible||HDR10, Dolby Vision, HLG||HDR10, HLG|
|HDMI Standby Pass-through||No ne||Yes|
|4K Video Upscaling||Yes||None|
|HDMI to HDMI Upconversion||Yes||No|
|Multibrand Remote Control||None||None|
|Parts Warranty||2 years||2 years|
|Labor Warranty||2 years||2 years|
|Powered Multi-room Audio Output||None||None|
|Preamp Multi-room Audio Output||None||None|
|Multi-room HDMI Output||None||None|
|Playback from Digital Audio Inputs||None||None|
|Playback from Streaming Sources||None||None|
|Dolby Digital DD||TrueHD, DD+||DD, TrueHD, DD+|
|DTS DTS, HD, HDMA||6 DTS, HD||HDMA, 96/24|
Inputs & Outputs
|Inputs & Outputs||RX-V385||STR-DH590|
|Component Video Inputs||None||None|
|Component Video Monitor Outputs||None||None|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||2||1|
|Optical Digital Outputs||None||None|
|Coaxial Digital Outputs||None||None|
|HDMI Monitor Outputs||1||1|
|Discrete Subwoofer Outputs||None||None|
|Multi-Channel Analog Input||None||None|
|Multi-channel Preamp Output||None||None|
|Main Speaker Output Pairs||1||1|
|Main Speaker Terminals||Posts||Posts/Spring-clips|
|USB Connections||1 Front||Charge only (rear)|
|Removable Power Cord||None||None|