Bookshelf speakers are known to be versatile because they can be used just for almost any purpose. They can easily be used as the main speaker, center, right, and left speaker, making them valuable to own. I recently changed my office sound system and replaced them with Klipsch RP-600M Bookshelf Speakers also listed as one of the top bookshelf speakers under 500 and they sound amazing. I am a music person and if I can’t have one in my office, then my job is incomplete. Even though these speakers are good, they also come at a price, but if you are on a budget, there are bookshelf speakers you can have under 300 dollars. The question now is, which are the best bookshelf speakers under 400?
The best bookshelf speakers under 400 is the Edifier S2000MKIII powered Bluetooth bookshelf speakers, the speakers have got Bluetooth connectivity, wireless remote control, deep bass, and clear quality sound. The speaker also has manual control at the back for volumes, sounds, and other features.
How do I choose bookshelf speakers?
Bookshelf speakers are becoming common because of the size, uniqueness, and sound. They are a perfect addition to HiFi systems and can be used anywhere. To find the right bookshelf speakers, there are points I recommend looking for so you can make the right choice.
1. Consider if you are having wireless or wired bookshelf speakers, there are advantages to having any of both speakers but one may outweigh the other base on your requirements.
2. The right bookshelf speaker with quality sound is also important, luckily manufacturers tell us what the sounds are like. Decide if you want speakers with heavy or light sounds or speakers you can manually adjust the sound settings.
3. Another important point in choosing bookshelf speakers is the size, speakers size matters when it comes to volume. The larger the speakers, the larger the drivers, and of course big volume. Also, placement is important, check the size of your room and where you will place the speaker.
4. If you thinking of amplifying your bookshelf speakers, you will need wired speakers, and if your choice is a passive speaker knowing the power input as matched to your amp will also help.
5. How loud do you want your speakers, this is where sensitivity and volume come to play. Sensitivities are measure in decibels (dB), the high the sensitivity the louder the speaker, while low sensitivity results in lower volume. Always check the bookshelf specification at the back of the speaker or from the seller.
6. As I have earlier mentioned, deciding whether you want a bookshelf speaker with a stand or wall-mountable, is where placement plays a role. Using a stand for your speakers will help isolate them from the ground, and help with vibration. Also, it needs to be pointed at the listening position and raised to the right height.
7. Deciding the purpose is also important, either as a surround sound system, front or rear speaker, or pair with subs, you have to know the purpose.
8. Setting a budget is important because you may be distracted into thinking you are getting value, but in an actual sense you are getting just a brand. There are bookshelf speakers under $300 that outperform bookshelf speakers under 500 and so on. Set your budget and begin your search, the bookshelf speakers under 400 that are listed in this article are good with sound, design, amplification, and features.
Best Bookshelf Speakers Under 400
1. Edifier S2000MKIII Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers
The Edifier S2000MK111 comes packed with desirable features that make them irresistible to have, like Bluetooth connectivity and wireless remote control. Unlike the Elec debut with waveguide tweeters, these speakers have diaphragm tweeters and a 5-inch woofer that produces up to 130 watts of power input. The speaker’s 5.0 Bluetooth connectivity has strong stability and easily stream audio wirelessly from any Bluetooth-enabled device.
This is a powered bookshelf speaker and it has few connecting inputs behind like the line-in input, optical and coaxial input. With the wireless remote you can control the speakers right from your seat for controlling the volume, switching sound source, power on/off, and mode selection. With the Edifier S2000MK111, you can adjust the treble, bass, and volume directly of the speaker, not all bookshelf speakers have these features.
Edifier S2000MKIII Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf 2.0 Speakers - S2000MK3 Near-Field Active Tri-Amped 130w Studio Monitor Speakers for Audiophiles with Wireless, Line-in and Optical Input
1 used from $428.85
- HIGH-END AUDIOPHILE COMPONENTS - Built using planar diaphragm tweeters and 5.5 inch woofers, the S2000MKII delivers clear, powerful audio.
- BLUETOOTH 5.0 WITH aptX HD DECODING – Stream high quality audio wirelessly with reduced latency and increased stability.
- LINE-IN/OPTICAL/COAXIAL INPUTS - Connect the S2000Pro easily using wireless, dual RCA, line-in and optical. Connect to multiple sources to avoid swapping inputs constantly.
- WIRELESS REMOTE - A convenient remote control allows you to adjust playback or inputs on the fly.
- 2 YEAR WARRANTY - S2000MKIII is proudly designed and manufactured by Edifier. The entire system is back with a 2-year warranty.
- Remote control
- Bluetooth connection
- Connection inputs
- Deep bass and clear quality sound
2. Swan Speakers – M20-5.1 – 5.1 Powered Bookshelf Speakers
When looking for high-end quality speakers, the Swan speakers offer some of the top-rated best bookshelf speakers in the market, and this M20-5.1 Swan speaker is one of them. What makes these speakers so unique is the design, they are handcrafted with pure detailing and style. According to the Swan speaker -M20-5.1 specification, they are designed for computer desktop and it is a multi-channel bookshelf speaker.
In simple terms, they are 5.1 mini home theater speakers with a theater sound quality. To achieve this high-quality sound the speakers have a fabric dome tweeter, full-range driver, and a woofer that produces up to 65 watts of high power. With this theater sound that is deeply powerful and detailed, these speakers can easily be used for music, movies, and gaming.
Another added advantage of Swan M20-5.1 speakers is the remote control that comes with it, with this you control subwoofer level, volume, and switch between channels.
Swan Speakers - M20-5.1 - 5.1 Powered Bookshelf Speakers - Wooden Cabinets - 65W RMS 8"" Subwoofer - Powerful Bass - Compact Luxurious Home Theater - Remote Control
- HIGH-END DESKTOP SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM - Multi-channel is capable of reproducing theater quality sound as desktop speakers or mini home theaters.
- UNIQUE DESIGN - Uses a mini wide-band small-box design for computer desktops, while all cabinets are finished in walnut with piano lacquered end caps to give the set a stylish and vintage look.
- PREMIUM DRIVERS INCLUDED - Each cabinet comes with high-end audio system, including 3'' aluminum alloy cone M3N full range driver and treated fabric dome tweeter for detail sound; and 8'' P.M.K cone long throw woofer with 65W high power, producing deep and powerful bass which is ideal for gaming, movies, and music.
- SPECIAL POWER AMPLIFIER CIRCUIT - Consists of digital volume control, power control circuit, and six-channel post-stage power amplifier circuit, which makes it twice powerful with improved dynamic sound and deeper bass.
- MULTI-FUNCTIONAL REMOTE CONTROL - Convenient remote control enables you to switch channels between 5.1 and 2.1 and adjust volume freely.
- Home theater sound
- Remote control
- Quality sound
3. Klipsch RP-150M Bookshelf Speaker
Another best bookshelf speaker is the Klipsch RP-150M bookshelf speakers with a charming design, equipped with wood grain polymer that gives the speakers a real modern feel. With design you can easily fit it in any decor and it will blend in. The speaker is designed to handle up to 400 watts of power, to achieve this power you will need an amp.
The speaker’s sound is beyond imagination as with Klipsch speakers, and to achieve this sound height the speaker has a linear titanium tweeter and cone woofer. The position of the speakers is important for the sound that is why the speaker delivers a theater-quality sound so you can enjoy the unfiltered sound from anywhere in the home.
Klipsch RP-150M Bookshelf Speaker - Cherry (Pair)
- 1" Linear Travel Suspension Titanium Tweeter
- 5.25" Spun Copper Cerametallic Cone Woofer
- 90x90 Hybrid Tractrix Horn
- All New Tractrix Port
- MDF Cabinet with Brushed Polymer Veneer Baffle Finish
- Use as home theater system
- Immersive sound
- Decor blend design
4. ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 Bookshelf Speakers
Another good-sounding bookshelf speaker is the Elac Debut 2.0 B6, according to the company that manufactured the speakers, both the tweeter, woofer, and cabinet are all new designs. The tweeter has a new wide-dispersion waveguide, the woofer also has a new woven aramid-fiber, and the cabinet has been re-design for easy placement.
The Elac debut 2.0 are really good sounding speakers, it can handle up to 120 watts power input and has a high-frequency response woofer with powerful bass. The speakers also have a new front-firing port which also aids in room placement, front-firing port help to reduce the problem of placing the speakers close to a wall. The new cabinet also reduces interference with sound quality and vibrations.
ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 Bookshelf Speakers, Black (Pair)
$288.27 in stock
3 used from $248.89
- New tweeter with Wide-dispersion waveguide
- New Woven Aramid-Fiber woofer. Sensitivity: 87db at 2.83v/1m
- New cabinets for easier placement.Crossover Frequency: 2200Hz
- Frequency Response: 44Hz – 35000Hz
- Nominal Impedance- 6 Ohms. Max Power Input- 120 Watts
- New cabinet
- A new heavy bass woofer design
- Easy placement
5. Audioengine HDP6 Passive Speakers Bookshelf Speakers
Here are another bookshelf speakers that are worth a try, the Audioengine HDP6. These speakers are passive speakers that require an Av receiver or amplifier to power up. The Audioengine HDP6 packs a heavy punch when it comes to delivering sound to your ears, and it has a power range of up to 150 watts. Whether you are looking for music or movie speakers, these speakers have got it all. The Speakers are compact and will fit any space and decor, it can easily be placed on a stand or shelf and still produce amazing sound.
For the sound, the speakers are equipped with a woofer and dome tweeters design with aramid fiber and aluminum frames. If you have an old receiver, these speakers will give it a good sound back.
Audioengine HDP6 Passive Speakers Bookshelf Speakers Pair | Home Stereo High-Powered 2-Way Desktop Speakers | AV Receiver or Integrated Amplifier Required (Walnut)
- VERSATILE: Bring your music and movies to life. HDP6 are passive compact loudspeakers that are powered from just about any stereo AV receiver, integrated amplifier, or tube amp. Award winning, detailed, and smile inducing Audioengine Sound. Mid century modern design makes it easy to place in almost any space without sacrificing your home’s decor to get the sound you want.
- YOUR MUSIC IS OUR PASSION: Custom designed 5.5" aramid fiber woofers with aluminum frames and 1″ silk dome tweeters make HDP6 the perfect compact speakers for music lovers. Hand-finished and rear ported 20mm thick cabinets fit any decor on a shelf, cabinet, or stand. Includes removable grills with hidden neodymium magnets.
- IMPRESSIVE SPECS: Nominal Impedance 4 Ohms, Sensitivity 88dB ([email protected]), Frequency Response 50Hz-22kHz (+/-1.5dB). Recommended power range is 10-150W.
- WHAT’S IN THE BOX: (2) HDP6 Passive Home Audio Speakers, (2) Detachable Magnetic Speaker Grills, (2) Microfiber Cloth Speaker Bags.
- WHY AUDIOENGINE: Stellar US based customer support and 3 year product coverage. Based in Austin TX, Audioengine has been changing the way people listen to music since 2005. Our passion is creating products that sound great, are easy to use and inspire people to listen every day.
- Good sound
- Stand mountable
6. PSB Alpha P5 Bookshelf Speaker
The PSB alpha bookshelf speakers are another speaker with top quality design, for bookshelf speakers under 400 this speaker’s design is unique. According to PSB, the material used in the speakers help improve effectiveness for both the design and sound. The P5 has a good quality sound thanks to the refined bass-reflex cabinet and woofer, the anodized aluminum dome tweeter improves the high-frequency response with reduced distortion and improved clarity and details.
PSB Alpha P5 Bookshelf Speaker - Black Ash
- ¾" Black anodized aluminum dome tweeter with front waveguide
- 5. 25" textured polypropylene woofer with rubber surround
- Bass reflex cabinet design with a rear-firing port
- Acoustically-transparent detachable magnetic grilles
- Five-way gold-plated binding post speaker terminals
- Unique design
- Heavy bass
- Clear sound
These recommended bookshelf speakers are the most sort speakers under 400, they all have quality build, designs to fit any decor, and are pack with required features. Depending on what you are looking for, or if you are stuck with making decisions, then I still recommend trying the Edifier S2000MKIII powered Bluetooth bookshelf speakers.