Finding the right budget bookshelf speakers can be a hassle and time-consuming, from choosing one for the right room size to finding one with the right features and sound. I have taken the burden of finding and reviewing the best bookshelf speakers under 300. What you will find out about these bookshelf speakers review is that some of them come with pre-amp built-in, Bluetooth connectivity, Dolby Atmos, and remote control. There are other good bookshelf speakers under 500 if you have few extra money in your pocket. So, what are the best bookshelf speakers to buy?
The best bookshelf speakers under 300 are the Klipsch R-14M 4-Inch reference bookshelf speakers, this is due to the sound, size, and design of the speaker. The design is a brushed black polymer veneer cabinet that fits in any home or office space. The speaker packs a punch and can be used as surround sound speakers, or as a left, right, or center speaker. The speakers also have a Tractrix horn mated with an aluminum tweeter for powerful dynamics, high-end response, and enhanced imaging for natural sound.
Bookshelf speakers buying guides
Most people buy bookshelf speakers and are worried about the low bass not up to their expectations, these are not subwoofers, they work better with subs. If you notice your bookshelf has low bass response first check the specifications, some of these speakers are 10 inches, 5 inches, and even less, their capacity may be limited. This is why you will need a sub to make them sound better with less distortion even when they are at higher volumes.
If you have low-frequency bass bookshelf speakers, it is more likely they will distort the sounds the speakers produce, but when you take away the deep low bass frequencies, it then allows the speakers to produce quality clean sound with fewer distortions.
Top best bookshelf speakers under $300
1. Klipsch R-14M 4-Inch Reference Bookshelf Speakers
The reason behind the Klipsch R-14M bookshelf speaker as my first choice for the top bookshelf speakers is the sound, size, and design of the speaker. With this speaker design, it blends into any room design, with the brushed black polymer veneer cabinet, you just can’t help but admire it when fitted in your home or office space. Another reason is the sound, this thing packs a punch, now the good side is that the speaker can be used as a surround sound speaker, or as a left, right, or center speaker. Now you understand why is my first choice.
Now for the technology that makes this bookshelf speaker best buy, it is the 90×90 Tractrix horn mated with an aluminum tweeter for powerful dynamics, high-end response, and enhanced imaging for natural sound. Also, the Linear travel suspension tweeter minimizes distortion and the woofer provides a low-frequency response. Finally, the rear-firing port helps to minimize turbulence even at low frequencies. Now you understand why I recommend the Klipsch R-14M as the best buy bookshelf speaker, in a simple term it is one of the best versatile bookshelf speakers around, it is not the best bookshelf speaker ever, but it is worth a try.
Klipsch R-14M 4-Inch Reference Bookshelf Speakers (Pair, Black)
- Fills small to medium rooms with powerful, lifelike performances
- 1" aluminum linear travel Suspension horn-loaded tweeter
- 4" copper-spun high-output img woofer
- Brushed Black polymer veneer cabinet
- Good sound
- Brushed veneer cabinet
- Blends into any space
- A rear-firing port
- Room filling sound
- There is none
2. Jamo Studio S 803 Bookshelf Speaker
My second choice for the best bookshelf speakers is the Jamo C 9 series II bookshelf speakers because of the punchy sound, sleek design, and technology behind the speakers. The Jamo series II may appear portable, but this thing packs a punch, it has high-quality drivers that drive heavy deep bass with reduced distortion. The design is something I should point out more, it blends in even better with three choices of colors. The speakers have a high-quality wood grain finish, in-front is a full-length woven tweed grille which will rather make space even more beautiful.
This Jamo speaker is a concert-level sound reproduction speaker with a quality woofer. The speakers have less distortion technology which moves sound around, the speaker does not have Dolby Atmos, but the sound will make you feel otherwise. The company stated that you will not notice any change in sound when you move seats, that is true, the sound rocks the whole space, making it ideal surround speakers.
Jamo S 803 WHITE S 803 White
- Perfect combination of style and performance
- Included Components: 2 Speakers
- Dolby Atmos ready
- Patent-pending seamless fastening system
- WaveGuide acoustic technology
- Luxury design
- Deep bass
- Room filling sound
- Choice os different colors
- Surround sound
- High price
3. Kanto YU4 Powered Speakers with Bluetooth and Phono Preamp
I call this an all-in-one bookshelf speaker, the speaker has Bluetooth, remote control, and a phono preamp. For turntable bookshelf speakers, the Kanto YU4 is the ideal speaker, you can connect your turntable directly to the speakers without the need for an external amplifier. The speakers have a 140W peak power-producing sound that seems bigger than the speakers. For any space, the speakers have a spacious sound, it has 4 Kevlar drivers and 1 silk dome tweeters with crystal clear sound.
Now for the designs, according to the manufacturer, the design has two principles, the use of premium materials and simple design. Looking at the speakers seating right in front of me confirms their claim. The cabinet is smooth and sassy with silk dome tweeter and woven Kevlar drivers. The fun part is the colors, you can get yellow, black, white, blue, and many more colors to fit in any room decor. The Bluetooth connectivity is a thumbs up for Kento YU4, you can control your music from the comfort of your sofa. The remote control is my favorite, you can switch between settings so easily from your seat. It has RCA and AUX inputs, optical inputs, USB charger port, phono/line switch, and subwoofer output. This is why I call it All-in-One Bluetooth bookshelf speakers.
Kanto YU4 Powered Speakers with Bluetooth and Phono Preamp - Bamboo
- Remarkable sound – enclosed in Handcrafted MDF cabinets measuring 8. 7" Tall, yu4’s 1” silk dome tweeters and 4” Kevlar drivers deliver crisp highs and wonderfully balanced mid-range, faithfully reproducing all your favorite tunes.
- Easy streaming – Built-in Bluetooth with Qualcomm aptX technology lets you enjoy high-quality streaming from the palm of your hand.
- Vinyl-ready – equipped with an integrated phono preamp, Yu4 can be easily connected to any vintage or modern day Turntable.
- Signal detection – Yu4 features automatic standby and power-up modes, helping to conserve power when you’re gone and ensuring you never miss a beat when the music starts playing.
- Remote control – with volume, input, tone and balance controls, as well as playback options when using Bluetooth, the Yu4 remote gives you full control over your Audio.
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Direct turntable connection
- A USB charger and optical inputs
- Choice of different colors
- Beautiful designs
- Deep bass from 140W power
- Comes with only 3.5mm
- High price
4. ELAC B5.2 Debut 2.0 Bookshelf Speakers
This Elac B5.2 debut 2.0 bookshelf speakers can also be used as a center channel and it is compatible with almost all Av receivers and amplifiers. With the Elac B5, placement is not an issue, with a sound like this speakers have, anywhere it is been placed in the room does not matter. This is because the speaker has a front-firing port unlike other speakers with a rear-firing port. The company stated the speakers have a new and improved soft dome tweeter that extends the frequency response, we tried it and found out the response is out to 35kHz. For the bass, the woofer is designed with a tight weave pattern, this is seen in most Elac speakers for a smooth high-frequency response.
For the design, the speakers have rigid cabinets with internal bracing to help reduce vibration while the deep bass is booming. With a rigid cabinet design, the sound quality is not affected by the cabinet. Elac has done well to make design a priority in producing top-quality sound for these bookshelf speakers.
ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 Bookshelf Speakers, Black (Pair)
$246.14 in stock
5 used from $224.47
- New tweeter with Wide-dispersion waveguide
- New Woven Aramid-Fiber woofer. Sensitivity: 87db at 2.83v/1m
- New cabinets for easier placement.Crossover Frequency: 2200Hz
- Frequency Response: 44Hz – 35000Hz
- Nominal Impedance- 6 Ohms. Max Power Input- 120 Watts
- Deep bass
- Front-firing port
- Serves as a center channel
- Clear sound
- There is none
5. Edifier R1280DB Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers
The Edifier R1280DB powered Bluetooth bookshelf speakers also made it to my list of recommended best bookshelf speakers because of the features of these speakers. Bookshelf speakers now come with Bluetooth and remote control making them versatile. One of the advantages of having a bluetooth speaker is easy to control tracks and settings without the need to go to the sound systems. The Edifier is not left out in this, especially for the remote control used in performing different actions like changing tracks, volume, turn Bluetooth on/off, power on/off, and mute the speakers.
When it comes to sound, the Edifier R1280Db is equipped with woofers and tweeters that are fine-turned for sound reproduction. One good feature of this bookshelf speaker is the deep bass and studio sound quality making them ideal for any home use, office use, and of course studio. You can also use the optical and coaxial inputs to connect your TV and computers. The speaker also has a side panel control with adjustable knobs for EQ and changing the settings. The features are too numerous to mention and it is worth every penny. The speaker design is very good, it has a black wood cabinet even though you can get it in brown, but the speakers blend perfectly in any decor.
How many Bluetooth devices will the memory keep?
The speakers do not save or remember any connected Bluetooth device, instead, the Bluetooth devices save the connected speakers, so you easily connect it back, the is no speaker memory is not in the speakers.
Edifier R1280DB Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Optical Input - Wireless Studio Monitors - 4 Inch Near Field Speaker - 42w RMS - Wood Grain
2 used from $97.49
- BLUETOOTH WIRELESS - Popular classic bookshelf speakers now can be enjoyed without the hassle of wires. Simply connection to an iPhone, Android, Tablet, PC or Mac.
- STUDIO SOUND QUALITY - Naturally fine tuned sound reproduction from 4 inch bass and 13mm silk dome tweeter.
- OPTICAL AND COAXIAL INPUTS - Digital inputs to enable lossless connection to most TV and computers.
- REMOTE CONTROL - Adjust the volume and toggle inputs at your fingertips. Bass and treble control located on the side of main speaker.
- 2 YEAR WARRANTY - Quality components in solid MDF wood housing are built to last. 24 month parts and labor warranty in USA and Canada.
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Remote control
- Equalizer settings
- Compact and wood cabinet
- Optical and AUX inputs
- Deep bass
- As of when this article was written, buyers pay for the return.
6. Bose 201 Direct/Reflecting Speaker System
Bose speakers are known for quality sounds, longevity, and creative designs, Bose 201 speakers are not left out on this. According to Bose, this is a power-packed performance bookshelf speaker, and they are compact. The speakers are good for small size rooms or office space. The 201 speakers can easily be connected to a stereo receiver. The sound from these compact angled drivers helps balance the stereo sound giving you a feel of life-like music, then comes the 6.5 woofer with powerful low and clean notes. The technology behind these speakers according to Bose is a direct/reflective technology, what it does is to recreate the audio sound by reflecting sound from flat surfaces and the walls by producing sounds from different angles of the room without concentrating on the speaker’s position.
Again this is a compact design speaker to fit in anywhere, it can be used as main, secondary, or surround home theater speakers, they also have auto protection circuitry which prevents the drivers from overdriven so you don’t complain of distortions or damage due to overpowering. The speakers are reliable and efficient.
Bose 201 Direct/Reflecting speaker system - Black
- Each 201 speaker includes a long excursion 6-1/2 woofer and a highly sensitive 2 Stereo Targeting tweeter;Syncom computer tested to ensure one of the highest levels of quality and reliability in the audio industry
- Proprietary Stereo Everywhere technology combines direct and reflected sound to deluge the room with beautiful sound
- Unique port geometry for clean bass.Compact size and horizontal for flexible placement options
- Perfect as front or rear home theater speakers, along with a BOSE VCS-10 center channel & BOSE 161 surrounds ? or a second pair of 201s
- Special Shipping Information: This item cannot be returned to Amazon.com. For additional information concerning this policy, please visit our Product Specific Returns Policy Page
- Quality sound
- Auto protection circuitry
- Blend in any decor
- There is none
7. Yamaha NS-333 2-Way Bass Reflex Bookshelf Speakers
Yet another of my favorite bookshelf speakers is the Yamaha Ns-333 2-way bass-reflex bookshelf speakers with a touch of pure performance. According to Yamaha’s specification, these speakers are designed for home theater, but a great addition to any sound system setup. The speaker has a bass-reflex, cone woofer, and 1-inch aluminum dome tweeter. Just like Bose 201 that uses direct/reflective technology to recreate the audio sound, this Yamaha speaker uses waveguide horns to reduce reflected sound and to increase sound wave proportion so you can listen to clear and precise sound direction. To understand how natural the sound of these is, you have to understand the principle behind it from Yamaha which is a superior production practice, to reproduce sound without adding or subtracting anything. To further explain the NS-333, it has highs that are bright and clean, open warm mids with good stagging, tight, and deep lows for almost any music.
You will surely need a subwoofer if you are going to be using it in a home theater just as Yamaha has stated, but make sure your receiver is not less than 60 watts per channel or you won’t get the best out of them. The design has a new grille design, cloth and constructed with strong form cabinet with a high gloss finish. You will be amazed by the sound if configured correctly, placement is not an issue for the speakers because the speakers have a magnetic shield so you can even place it on your TV.
Yamaha NS-333 2-Way Bass Reflex Bookshelf Speakers (Pair)
2 used from $159.77
- 5 inch PMD cone woofer and 1 inch aluminum dome tweeter in each speaker
- Waveguide horns reduce reflected sound while directing more sound waves to your ears
- 60 watts nominal power; 150 watts music power
- Monster Cable internal wiring ensures clean, clear signal
- Each speaker measures 7 to 7/8 by 12 to 5/8 by 8 to 3/8 inches (width by height by depth)
- High-quality finish
- Deep bass
- Reduce reflective sound
- There is none
8. Polk Audio TSi100 Bookshelf Speakers
Here are other top-quality bookshelf speakers that are worth every penny, the Polk Audio TSi100 bookshelf speakers is another piece I wouldn’t trade for any other speaker. The speakers appear small but what you get from them is just mind-blowing. There are two ways you use the TSi100, either as the main speaker or a surround speaker that can be mounted on the wall. The construction of the speaker is solid and braved which removes internal resonances and vibrations, it has a top plate and wood grain finish so you can enjoy the clear clean sound with decor blending. Polk has also equipped the speakers with dynamic balance technology and Klippel motor optimization to prevent distortion and increase smooth excursion paths at high and low volume for uniform performance.
One thing to point out, these speakers are 5.25 inch, you wouldn’t expect it to bring the roof down, adding a subwoofer to it is what will take them to the next level of sound and bass. Subs help small speakers produce quality sound with fewer distortions even at high volumes.
Polk Audio TSi100 Bookshelf Speakers (Pair, Black)
2 used from $99.00
- Recommended amplification: 20 100 (watts/ch)
- Equipped with one 5.25 inch dynamic balance bilaminate composite woofer
- Equipped with one 1 inch silk/polymer composite dynamic balance dome tweeters
- Pair of high performance bookshelf speakers
- Frequency response: 53Hz 25kHz
- Wall mountable
- Good sound
- Anti-vibration technology
- Buyer pays for return
9. Infinity R162 Black 2–Way Bookshelf Speakers
Here is another of my favorite speakers that also made its way into my list of best bookshelf speakers review. The speakers are best used as main channel speakers, surround channel speakers, and home theater systems, and because of the size, you can easily place them anywhere. The speaker has a 1″(25mm) CMMD tweeter, advanced waveguide, and 6.5″(165mm) CMMD high output woofer, with this you get a seamless sonic integration woofer for high-frequency detail, powerful bass, wide frequency range, and less distortion. The computer-optimized driver integration help with accurate balance sound, soundstage, and lifelike imaging so you get a premium performance.
For the design, it has a black rich woodgrain finish giving the speakers a clean finish to blend in any space and decor. The speakers have full range, deep bass, and room-filling sound due to the combination of high-frequency driver and woofer covering a wider area of listening. Another important thing to point out, on the company website, these speakers cost almost twice the price on Amazon.
Infinity R162 | Black 2–Way Bookshelf Speakers (Pr.)
|Model||Infinity R162 | Black 2-way Bookshelf|
- Wide area sound coverage
- Beautiful and clean design
- Deep bass
- Less distortion
- There is none
10. Pioneer SP-BS22A-LR Andrew Jones Home Audio Bookshelf Speaker
This is the famous Andrew Jones bookshelf speakers collection with a unique design for any space and it has an immersive sound. This is the only bookshelf speaker in my list of top bookshelf speakers under 300 dollars with Dolby Atmos. Dolby Atmos gives you an experience of immersive surround sounds at a 360-degree angle, with Dolby Atmos you will experience sound from a specific position. If for example, you are playing games with the speakers, you will be able to know the position where the enemy fire is coming from or when watching a war movie, you will be able to pinpoint where the airplane is coming from. It reflects sound from the ceiling to produce space and detailed sound. This is why this bookshelf speaker is the ideal home theater or surround sound speaker. You can read more about Dolby Atmos on Gawkygeek.com. The speakers have a high-frequency soft dome tweeter and low-frequency woofer, the 6 element complex crossover balances audio sound between the woofer and tweeter.
The speaker’s design is interesting with the study cabinet which eliminates vibration, this is why the speakers have a curved cabinet to reduce vibration and sound waves. The speaker also has an upward-firing speaker, this is what reflects sound off the ceiling for the immersive sound I earlier talked about.
Pioneer SP-BS22A-LR Andrew Jones Home Audio Bookshelf Speaker, Dolby Atmos Enabled (Set of 2) - Black
- ANDREW JONES. From speaker designer Andrew Jones comes a collection of speakers that bring professional-quality sound to your living room. These highly-acclaimed bookshelf speakers deliver on sound, creating an immersive listening experience.
- DOLBY ATMOS. This speaker reflects sound off the ceiling and produces a more spacious and detailed sound than speakers using a single full-range driver. With Dolby Atmos and DTS speaker configurations, this speaker brings the sound.
- TWEETER. A multi-element crossover to route high frequencies to the Soft Dome Tweeter and low frequencies to the woofer for smooth sound at high volumes. This circuit allows speakers to sound equally great in stereo, 5.1 surround sound and Dolby Atmos.
- COMPLEX CROSSOVER. 6 Element Complex Crossover perfectly blends audio between the woofer and tweeter for greater accuracy.
- IMPROVED BASS. 4” Structured Surface Woofer with oversized magnets and vented pole pieces provide improved bass response. Blended with the upward firing two-way design, this speaker provides a well-rounded sound landscape.
- Dolby Atmos feature
- Immersive sound
- Deep bass
- Study cabinet design
- There is none
How to connect bookshelf speakers to pc?
The way you connect and listen to computer speakers is different from how you connect to bookshelf speakers, this will usually not work because pc speakers have a built-in amp. I will guide you through how to connect your bookshelf speakers to pc.
To better understand bookshelf speakers, they are powered speakers unlike computer speakers, they have drivers in the form of tweeters.
You will need a 3.5 male to 3.5 male cord which goes into the PC’s headphone jack or a 3.5 RCA cord (red and white), with this plugged in, the PC will output signals which will be converted to an analog signal then send it to an external amplifier. I will recommend the Lepai Hi-Fi Stereo power amplifier, it is a digital amplifier. You need a speaker cable if your bookshelf does not have one.
Plug the 3.5 male to male cord or the 3.5 RCA cord into the headphone jack of your PC.
Plug the other end of the 3.5 male to male cord or the two ends of the 3.5 RCA cord into the amplifier. I will suggest just plugging in one of those cables, preferably the 3.5 male cord into the amplifier. (do not plug in the male and the RCA same time).
Get the speaker cable and attach it to the amplifier (the double end) and on the other end you should hook it up to the Bookshelf terminal.
Plug the amplifier DC cable into the amp and the other end into a wall socket.
Turn your computer on and turn the amplifier on, you are now ready to listen with your bookshelf speaker.
How to connect bookshelf speakers to turntable?
Just so you know, turntables output weak signal, most turntables include a pre-amp to help boost the signal at least to line-level but it can’t power speakers alone. This is why you will need an amplifier, this is because bookshelf speakers are passive speakers, they do not have a power source and volume control, unlike active speakers which have a power source and volume control. You can still find active bookshelf speakers with built-in amps like the Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers, but they do come at a price.
- Connect the turntable to the amplifier
- Then connect the amplifier to the bookshelf speaker using cables
- The amplifier will sit between the bookshelf speaker and the turntable.
- You can use the above steps to complete the connection.
If you have successfully reached the end of this article about the top best bookshelf speakers under 300 dollars, I believe you have learned a few things and also found something that meets your bookshelf speaker requirement. But in case you are still wondering what bookshelf speakers best buy, then I recommend going for the Klipsch R-14M 4-Inch Reference Bookshelf Speakers because of its features, performance, and great soundstage.
- Bookshelf speakers buying guides
- Top best bookshelf speakers under $300
- 1. Klipsch R-14M 4-Inch Reference Bookshelf Speakers
- 2. Jamo Studio S 803 Bookshelf Speaker
- 3. Kanto YU4 Powered Speakers with Bluetooth and Phono Preamp
- 4. ELAC B5.2 Debut 2.0 Bookshelf Speakers
- 5. Edifier R1280DB Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers
- 6. Bose 201 Direct/Reflecting Speaker System
- 7. Yamaha NS-333 2-Way Bass Reflex Bookshelf Speakers
- 8. Polk Audio TSi100 Bookshelf Speakers
- 9. Infinity R162 Black 2–Way Bookshelf Speakers
- 10. Pioneer SP-BS22A-LR Andrew Jones Home Audio Bookshelf Speaker
- How to connect bookshelf speakers to pc?
- How to connect bookshelf speakers to turntable?